Are you looking for ways to maximize space in your kitchen? One tried and true method is with a kitchen island. Depending on the design, an island is a versatile way to add just about any features you need to make your kitchen complete. You should give it serious consideration if you are thinking about a kitchen remodel in your Waterford, MI home and Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing can help.
These are just a few of the features you can add with a kitchen island:
Additional counter space:
- This adds obvious benefits like more room for food preparation, room for more than one cook in the kitchen, and it can serve as an additional eating area. Consider using a different countertop material or color to contrast with other counters in the kitchen.
- This is especially valuable if you don’t have a dining table. It’s also a great way to create more casual seating and it allows the cook to socialize with guests or family members while preparing meals. It helps to design in a counter overhang so you can tuck the chairs or stools underneath when they’re not being used.
- Sinks and stoves in a kitchen island are good ways to spread the workflow. Just remember, installation can be tricky so be sure to pay attention to things like ventilation and plumbing during the design process (this is where our Kotz designer can be a big help).
New storage space:
- Kitchen islands are a great way to add cupboards, drawers, and shelves. If you have items you want to feature, say a cookbook collection, open shelving is an ideal choice. It also provides additional storage for cookware and appliances.
Vertical space above the island:
- This is bonus space some people ignore. Think about adding suspended storage where you can hang a matching collection of pans. If you do have a stovetop an overhead vent hood is always an option. As is decorative lighting suspended over the island.
To help you make your decisions, we have opened a brand-new kitchen showroom display at the Kotz Plumbing Showroom. It’s a great chance to get a first-hand look at some of the things we’re talking about. There are always expert people available to help, including our very own in-house designer, Alex Brewer. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to take advantage of our great special offers throughout the year.