Tell the truth now, do you actually look at the monthly water bill or do you just hit the “pay now” button on the computer? Closely examining your bill could give you a hint it’s time to call Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing to check for water leaks inside or outside your Waterford, MI home.
Even small leaks add up to big waste
The truth is too many times we tend to treat leaks as no big deal, but leaky toilets and faucets can waste hundreds of gallons of water each day. That adds up to wasted money. Here are just a few examples:
- A metal pipe with a ⅛-inch hole leaks 2,500 gallons of water every 24 hours at 40 psi
- A pinhole size leak can waste 360,000 gallons a year
- A leaking toilet can use 90,000 gallons of water in 30 days.
- Dripping faucets or outdoor spigots can waste up to 180 gallons a month
- About 1 in every 20 swimming pools has a leak.
The water supply line
This runs from your water meter (or well) to your house. Leaks aren’t easy to locate since the line is typically under your yard. Look for saturated areas that are wet all the time.
When homes are built on a slab foundation water lines are buried under concrete. It usually takes a plumber to diagnose and locate any leaks under a slab.
Crawl spaces and basements
These are easier to locate and fix because the pipes are not under several inches of concrete.
Walls and/or floors
Even very slow leaks in these locations can cause lots of damage if they go undetected. Not only material damage, but health risks because of mold and bacteria growth.
Become the Sherlock Holmes of leaks
Any homeowner can become a leak detective to help determine if there is a problem requiring the services of a professional plumber.
- Test the supply line by closing the main shutoff valve to the house. Wait for a few minutes then look at your water meter. If you see the dial still moving, it’s an indication you have a leak somewhere in the supply line.
- Here is an easy way to check your toilets. Put a few drops of food coloring in the tank. If you start seeing colored water in the toilet bowl you have a leak.
- Check all the faucets in the house and the outside spigots for any signs of water dripping.
When leaks are found they should be repaired quickly. If you can’t do it yourself then call Kotz for professional help.
Our pledge to you
When leak detection and repairs are needed, Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing will do the work right the first time, every time. All repairs we do in your home are guaranteed for a full year.