There’s a very good reason why winter is called the cold and flu season. Perhaps the most important factor is the dry indoor air we experience during cold weather in Waterford, MI and Oxford, MI. The ideal humidity level in your home is 40% to 50% but during winter that reading can often drop into the low 20’s or even the teens. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health problems that result.
- RISK OF INFECTION
- There is clear clinical evidence that many viruses live longer and spread more easily when the indoor air is dry. Researchers believe that’s a big reason why there are spikes in fatalities caused by flu and pneumonia following cold snaps. By nature, cold air is unable to hold as much moisture. The dry air can also affect your ability to fight off viral infections by drying out nasal mucus, a natural defense against health problems.
- RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS
- Asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, and other respiratory illnesses are almost always worse if you spend too much time in overly dry air. Medical experts point to the evaporation of the fluids that hydrate bronchial tubes as a big reason why.
- SORE THROATS, EYE IRRITATION & NOSEBLEEDS
- All these symptoms/problems are made worse by dry air. While more annoying than dangerous, they certainly contribute to a general feeling of being sick all the time. After all, who enjoys waking up in the morning with a throat so sore you hate to swallow.
- Spending countless hours working and living in a dry air environment can quickly sap body fluids resulting in dehydration. This can often contribute to other health problems.
LET’S TALK SOLUTIONS
The best residential solution to indoor dry air is a whole-house humidifier from Kotz Heating, Cooling, and Plumbing. It’s installed as part of the HVAC system in your Waterford, MI or Oxford, MI home. It’s attached to the home’s water supply and adds moisture to the air as it’s being distributed throughout the house. There are also portable room humidifiers, but they aren’t nearly as convenient. Portable models take up floor space and have a water tank that needs to be refilled constantly.
DON’T PUT UP WITH DRY INDOOR AIR
Stop buying Chapstick and skin lotion in bulk. End the annoyance of static electricity. And most importantly, protect the health of you and your family. Call Kotz now to learn more about whole house humidifiers and the many ways they can make your home more comfortable. For more great information like this be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.