Can you feel and smell it? Spring is in the air. Maybe you can even see a few buds on some of the trees. To make sure you are prepared, let’s take a few moments to talk about drainage. No, we’re not talking about unclogging a drain in the kitchen sink or a shower drain.
Instead, Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing wants to make sure you are prepared for spring runoff. Melting snow and spring rain can quickly saturate the ground, meaning the water has no place to go. If your home’s drainage system isn’t in tip-top shape, it can mean water problems for you.
A good place for the homeowner to start is to make sure your gutters and downspouts are all in good shape. Then check to be sure the water is able to flow away from the home’s foundation when it hits the ground. If you weren’t able to get the leaves cleaned up in the yard last fall, now is a good time to do it. The old leaves and any overgrown vegetation can keep the water from draining away as quickly as it should.
The other problem with saturated ground is it can affect your home’s sewage system. A break in the pipe or an invasive root can allow groundwater into the system and the home’s wastewater has no place to go, especially if you’re on a septic system. In either case, the result could be a damaging and disgusting sewage backup in the home. We are not saying it can’t happen at any time, but the risk does go up in the spring when the ground is really wet. Here are some warning signs to watch for:
- More than one drain is clogged
- If multiple drains clog simultaneously, it can be a sign that there is a problem brewing. Especially if the drains are ones you don’t use routinely
- Water backs up into other drains
- Let’s say you flush the toilet and hear water gurgling in the tub or shower. It’s a sign the water is being blocked by a clog and is looking for another way out
- Bubbles, bubbles and more bubbles
- When there is a clog, air can get trapped as the water tries to drain. This will cause bubbling. You may notice bubbles when you flush a toilet or when a sink is trying to drain.
- Toilets aren’t flushing like they should
- When your toilet doesn’t flush like it should no matter how many times you use the plunger, it can be another sign of drain issues. Toilet problems can be particularly unpleasant and not something you want to delay getting repaired.
If you experience any of these warning signs, you should call Kotz for expert help. Our plumbers can use a video camera in your Waterford, MI house to locate any problems inside the home’s main drain or sewer line. One really cool feature is the camera includes a locator, or beacon. It allows us to locate your sewer line and mark its path through your yard. It makes it easier for a contractor to locate the line if any excavation work needs to be done to fix the problem.
Whether it’s an emergency, or you need help with a do-it-yourself project, Kotz in Waterford is always there to help. We know a plumbing emergency or major repair can put a big dent in the household budget. For any project costing more than $500, Kotz can work with you on various financing options including 6 months same as cash with no interest charges. Call Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing now to make sure you are prepared for whatever spring has to offer.