The hot summer months bring out the air conditioning expert in all of us. Some tips can be helpful, but many others are simply not true. Your friends at Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing are here to help separate the facts from fiction. Here are some of the myths and misperceptions we frequently hear:
- Running a ceiling fan will cool a room, especially while you’re not home. Fans cool your skin, not the air and do not lower room temperature. A running fan in an empty room is just raising your monthly electricity bill.
- An A/C running at a consistent temperature will save money and avoid costly energy spikes. Actually, it’s not a good idea to set it and forget it. Try a programmable thermostat, which allows you to schedule your air conditioner to run when you need it to.
- A large A/C system will cool your house more efficiently and cheaper. Bigger is not always better. It’s more important to buy an A/C system that is optimal for the size of your home and your budget.
- Air filter maintenance is not as important in the summer. Not true – dust and other particles are collected by filters no matter the season. Change/clean your air filters regularly.
- To cool off your home faster, set the thermostat a few degrees below the temperature you actually want. Not a good idea. Your A/C replaces hot air with cool air at a set rate of speed; you can’t make the unit work any faster by lowering the dial beyond your desired temperature.
- Air conditioning units don’t need service unless something is wrong. Being proactive is important and, regular preventative maintenance help ensure your system does not break down when you need it most.
Advice is great, but make sure you hear it from the professionals. Call us today for system analysis, inspection and maintenance to stay cool all summer.