Let’s talk about a topic that can catch anyone by surprise – plumbing emergencies. You know, those unexpected incidents that involve water going everywhere but where it’s supposed to go. No worries. By the end of this blog, you will be able to quickly identify a plumbing emergency and know when to call a professional plumber in the Waterford, Clarkston, Walled Lake, Oxford, Rochester Hills, and Royal Oak areas of Michigan.
What is a Plumbing Emergency?
Before we offer solutions, we first need to understand what creates a plumbing emergency. Simply put, it’s a situation where your plumbing system fails. You need immediate attention to prevent further damage to your home. There’s no way you can wait for a regular appointment. Help is needed right away.
The Common Signs: A Guide for Waterford, MI Residents
Now that we know what a plumbing emergency is, let’s look at the signs that should make you seek immediate help and call a plumber in Waterford, Michigan.
1. Burst Pipes
During winter, the water in pipes can freeze and expand, causing the pipes to burst. When a pipe bursts, it can flood your home quickly. If you notice a burst pipe, the most important step is to locate the main water shut off to turn off the main water supply immediately. Familiarize yourself with the location of yours and have the means to turn it off quickly if needed. Once the water supply is cut off, call Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing.
2. Overflowing Toilet
An overflowing toilet is a clear sign of a plumbing emergency. It’s unsightly and a potential health hazard. If plunging doesn’t fix the problem, it’s time to call a professional plumber to get to the root of the issue. The problem may be with only the toilet or the issue could go beyond that to the main sewer line. A trained professional will be able to discern the solution quickly.
3. Sewer Backups
Sewer backups can be a homeowner’s worst nightmare. The smell alone can be unbearable, not to mention the potential health risks. Signs of sewer backups include multiple drain clogs, bad sewage smells, and water pooling around the basement floor drain. If you experience any of these, call Kotz to schedule a plumber right away.
4. No Water
Opening your taps and seeing no water coming out is an urgent issue. It could indicate a problem with your water supply line. A skilled plumber from Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing can help identify and fix the problem promptly.
When to Call a Plumber?
Knowing when to call a plumber can save you from a bigger and more expensive disaster. Here are a few instances when you should not hesitate to call a plumber:
- During a Plumbing Emergency: As discussed above, situations like burst pipes, overflowing toilets, and sewer backups qualify as plumbing emergencies. Don’t waste time and get in touch with a plumber immediately.
- Regular Maintenance: Besides emergencies, regular maintenance can prevent a plumbing emergency in the future. A professional plumber can help identify potential issues before they turn into major problems.
- Renovations: If you are planning a home renovation, especially in areas like the kitchen or bathroom, it’s good to have a plumber inspect the plumbing system to avoid future emergencies.
Tips to Prevent a Plumbing Emergency
Even though you now know when to call a plumber in Waterford, here are some tips to help prevent a plumbing emergency in the first place:
- Insulate Pipes: To prepare for the cold winter months in our area, make sure your pipes are well insulated to prevent freezing and bursting.
- Avoid Clogs: Be mindful of what you flush down the toilet or throw in the sink to avoid clogs. Never pour grease down your drains. Avoid overfilling garbage disposals and always run plenty of cold water when operating your garbage disposal. Drain strainer covers are a lifesaver to prevent hair clogs in the bathtub or shower.
- Regular Inspections: Have a plumber conduct regular inspections to identify potential issues early on. Schedule yours with a Kotz professional today.
In case of a plumbing emergency, it’s important to have the contact of a reliable plumber in Waterford, Michigan, saved on your phone. When looking for a plumber, consider their experience, reputation, and whether they offer emergency services. Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing has served residents in the Waterford, Walled Lake and Oxford areas since 1929. That’s almost 100 years of quality service without compromise. When you call Kotz you get professionalism, dedication, friendly and helpful team members, honesty, dependability, and more! Your complete satisfaction is the only thing that matters to Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing.
Skilled Plumbers in Waterford, MI
A plumbing emergency can be a stressful situation for any homeowner. However, knowing what constitutes a plumbing emergency and when to call a skilled plumber in Waterford, Michigan, can save you a lot of trouble.
Remember, issues like burst pipes, overflowing toilets, and sewer backups are clear signs of a plumbing emergency. Don’t hesitate to call for a professionally trained plumber from Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing immediately to prevent further damage and potential health risks.
Additionally, engaging a plumber for regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent emergencies in the future.