5 Ways to Save Money & Energy with Your Hot Water Heater
Hot water is a comfort that we don’t want to do without and it’s a necessity for health, safety and hygiene. Unfortunately, heating water can use a lot of energy and cause monthly utility costs to creep up. On the other hand, there are ways to save money with a hot water heater.
We need hot water every day, and typically multiple times a day, for washing clothes, dishes and our bodies. Multiply that by the number of people in your home, and you can see the dollar signs growing.
Since water heaters are heavily used, how can we cut costs and use less energy while still having the convenience and health benefits of hot water? Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing offers five ways the average homeowner can save money and decrease water heater energy use.
- While many people bathe with showers, some still like to soak in a hot bath after a long day’s work. Tub baths use a lot of water, especially if you have a whirlpool or jetted tub. You don’t have to eliminate the luxury of a bath all together; reducing them to once per week and showering the rest of the days can save a bundle on water heater costs.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater’s thermostat to decrease energy use and lower water heating costs for your family.
- Many believe hand washing dishes uses less water than running the dishwasher when the opposite is true. Since we tend to leave the hot water running while we wash or rinse, lots of water is wasted. If you really need to hand wash, turn off that water! The same is true when brushing teeth and washing your hands.
- If possible, install a tankless water heater, so water is heated only when needed. Storage tank water heaters constantly heat water whether it’s being used or not, even when no one is home.
- Two ways you can tackle the problem at the water heater itself, is to insulate the water heater tank and install a timer to turn off the water heater when your home is unoccupied. These two features can save both energy and electric costs.
Call Kotz for More Information on How to Save Money with a Hot Water Heater
You can’t do without hot water in your home, but you can look for ways to lower your monthly costs to operate your water heater. Kotz can help by upgrading your older, less efficient water heater with a newer model that’s designed to use less energy and save you money. Call our office today to schedule one of our trained plumbers to learn more.