Is your home safe from carbon monoxide (CO)? CO is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas is created anytime fuel is burned.This includes vehicles, stoves, lanterns, gas grills, fireplaces, gas ranges or the furnace in your home. Unintentional deaths from CO poisoning reach around 1,000 annually. Emergency room visits that are related to carbon monoxide exposure is staggering. There are around 43,000 visits a year. These statistics are alarming, but there are things you can do to protect you and your family from the deadly effects of this harmful gas.
It is critical that your home heating system have sufficient ventilation, and that you keep heating components and appliances in good working order with continuous proper maintenance. The easiest, most effective way to prevent exposure to CO gas is by having detectors installed around your house, especially near sleeping areas. U. L. listed CO alarms, which can be purchased at retail stores, will not sound until your family is exposed to 70 parts per million (ppm) for over 3.5 hours! International limits for hazardous levels, including OSHA and the planet Health Organization’s guidelines, range from 15-35 ppm. Your reputable HVAC contractors from Kotz Heating and Air Conditioning will be able to offer you a superior CO detector with the capacity to alert occupants at 10 ppm, reacting faster for better protection.
Health and safety leaders suggest you have fireplaces and chimneys examined annually for cleanliness. Check that there is correct ventilation. Obstructions can cause harmful buildup of CO, so checking for correct ventilation is key. As a reminder, you should never use charcoal grills inside or use unvented combustion heaters overnight or inside a room where people will be sleeping, and never run your vehicle’s engine with the garage door shut. By taking proper preventative actions, your home could be CO free. Contact Kotz, your trusted heating and air conditioning service provider today to have your indoor environment tested and quality CO detectors installed for optimum safety.