Standing in ankle-deep water when you take a shower? Waiting minutes for the sink to drain after shaving in the morning? Been there. Done that. So, let’s ask a plumber about the best ways to clean your drains or deal with a clogged drain.
Don’t Use Chemical Drain Cleaners
We’ll start with what not to do. Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing recommends staying away from harsh chemical drain cleaners. They damage your pipes and in certain instances can react with other chemicals and give off an unhealthy gas. There are some bio-clean products on the market. They will not eat through a clog but are effective at keeping pipes clean after a clog is removed.
Best Way To Clean Clogged Drains
The first method is to fill your sink or tub with hot water and then open the drain. Sometimes the pressure and heat will be enough to wash a clog away. If that doesn’t work, plumbers agree a plunger or snake is the next best option. If you still don’t have any luck, it’s probably time to call in help for a professional drain cleaning.
As always, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cures. Let’s examine some of the specifics for each type of drain in your Waterford, MI home.
- The leading causes of clogged drains here are hair and toothpaste. If you have long hair, there are drain savers on the market designed to catch the hair before it goes into the drain. When brushing your teeth make sure you let warm water run for a few moments after you rinse to dissolve the toothpaste.
- Live by the rule of threes. Only three things go into the toilet: #1, #2, and toilet paper. Even if it says “flushable” on the label, chances are it’s going to cause problems. A clogged toilet can be messy. If the plunger doesn’t do the job, we recommend calling in Kotz for some professional plumbing maintenance.
- Grease is public enemy number one when it comes to clogged drains in the kitchen. Make every attempt to dispose of grease and fat in a separate container. Remember, this also includes things high in dairy fat like cream, whole milk, and butter. Certain types of foods can also cause problems including:
- Stringy food like celery & carrots
- Foods that expand with water
We Are Here To Help
Annual plumbing inspections and maintenance by Kotz can go a long toward preventing clogged drains. Our expert plumbers can spot problems before they become serious. For more great information like this be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.