5 Signs Your Heat Exchanger Is Cracked
A cracked heat exchanger is a serious issue. If you suspect you need a heat exchanger repair, you should immediately turn off your furnace and call Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing for emergency service. Operating your furnace when you need a heat exchanger repair, can be dangerous for your overall health and safety, and it may cause your furnace to fail altogether. A cracked heat exchanger allows toxic gasses to be distributed throughout the living spaces where they can be breathed in by anyone inside the home.
While some heating system concerns may be difficult for the average homeowner to diagnose, there are significant indicators if there’s an issue with your heat exchanger. If you notice cracking, popping or banging when the furnace turns on, the possibility is high the heat exchanger is cracked.
HOW TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE A CRACKED HEAT EXCHANGER
In addition to the odd sounds we already mentioned, there are several signs that should never be ignored when it comes to your furnace.
- A cracked heat exchanger often causes cracking, popping or a clunking sound as the air leaks out and the unit expands and contracts.
- Every furnace has a visible flame heating the air inside the unit. In a cracked heat exchanger, the flame wavers as air moves in and out and the color changes from a normal blue to yellow or orange.
- A cracked heat exchanger often causes your furnace to give off an odd smell similar to formaldehyde.
- A buildup of soot or dirt around the furnace or in the burners may indicate the need for a heat exchanger repair.
- If you notice cracks or corrosion on any part of your furniture, call a professional for an inspection.
Since carbon monoxide (CO) is colorless, odorless and tasteless, its presence can signify a heat exchanger problem, but it’s unnoticeable. For this reason, every home should have a CO detector. If your CO detector begins beeping, turn off your furnace immediately and call Kotz for 24/7 emergency service.
Regularly scheduled furnace maintenance is vital to keep your furnace in tip top condition. A trained Kotz technician will thoroughly inspect and clean your furnace, allowing opportunities to catch cracked heat exchangers or other less serious issues before they become expensive or potentially dangerous problems.
Call Kotz Heating, Cooling & Plumbing today for your heat exchanger repair or for heating system maintenance.